Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Student Reflection from Yellowstone Trip

"During my trip to Yellowstone, I felt like I gained many things emotionally.  The experience itself impacted me in several ways.  I never have been much of a leader.  I always was, or chose to be second in command, or be a follower.  I didn't truly understand the leadership role.  But while in Yellowstone, I started to show more leadership qualities that I had inside of me.  I just needed a way to show them.  Each day, I wanted to be in the front of the "hiking line".  I wanted to help guide everyone along the path.  I also encouraged others to do their best.  One of the girls did not like that because I just kept pushing her to try harder.  I knew she could do it so I continued to encourage and challenge her to keep going. 
I also gained many relationships with the other girls.  I never felt that I was really close to them, sort of just kept to myself.  But each day, I grew to know each one more and more.  We all made memories that will last us a lifetime.  I think my favorite time was when we would sit around the campfire after dinner and have small group.  There were different topics each night that everyone would share.  I also appreciate these girls more than ever.   I grew to have a lot more respect for each one of them.  
My ultimate favorite part of the trip was experiencing the waterfalls.  Sitting and listening to the roar of these huge falls, I felt peaceful within myself.  I had that feeling that everything was going to be okay.  And I realized that no matter what happens, life will still go on.  Those waterfalls will still keep roaring with power, even if I have a bad day.  It was powerful within me.  I enjoyed it very much!"  ~Beth G.